Hey,
So Steve and I did our usual pre-Thanksgiving turkey this weekend. We got a small one because we are going to go enjoy our REAL Thanksgiving dinner with my family in Idaho. YAY! Anyway, We came up with the idea after that dinner to try a new recipe. Its chimichangas turkey style. Not greatly original but SO good! Here's the recipe as far as I can remember:
2 cups ground up or shredded turkey(we used both white and dark, deboned once you've decided that it is a leftover)
1 cup turkey juice (ours had gellified because we used it the next day. you can use gravy too)
2 cups rice
1 can refried beans
1 cup grated cheese
1/2 cup salsa (or to taste)
1/4 cup green onions
tortilla shells
Because the turkey juices were gellified(new word), we put it on medium heat on the stove until it melted back into juices. We then added the rice, beans, salsa, cheese and turkey. Heat it through until its all warm and then add the green onions. While this is heating, turn your skillet on to medium.
Scoop some of the filling into the middle (about 1/2 cup or so) and the fold the top and bottom of the tortilla and then the two sides. Warm on the skillet until brown and then flip and brown the other side. If you're making a lot, you can keep them warm in the oven. The amount we used ended up making about 12 chimichangas. You can serve it with more salsa, sour cream, or whatever you'd like. We ran out of sour cream, so we had to use salsa.
Anyway, just wanted to share our tasty leftover ideas! Hope you enjoy!
3 comments:
Sounds really yummy! We haven't ever done our own turkey. I think we're really spoiled with Mom's. I've been hearing how turkey is always dry - hers isn't!
Can't wait to see you soon.
I want to send you an invite to our family blog what is your email?
Tami
I think I got it from your profile. Let me know if you don't get the invite.
Tami
Post a Comment