Our new home

Friday, December 12, 2008

Gingerbread Men

I decided to try something new this year for goodies. I usually do a lot of candy but I wanted to try cookies. So I got a recipe off Food Network and started on it. After having a rough start from not finding my ginger (kind of important for gingerbread!), I got to cut all the men and trees out and bake them. They came out rather crunchy. The three older kids LOVE them and Gavin tolerates them.
For Family Home Evening we did our cleaning of the toys and got rid of a bunch (yay!) and then started our decorating. We had red(well, pink) and green frosting and I let the kids do it. Ashley had fun making dots all over and Andy and Jakob got creative. I just let Gavin squish the bag while I held it. Ethan just hung out and watched everything happening. It was a fun night and we had some yummy cookies to show for it! We even hung some on our tree afterwards!
Andy's working really hard on his! He actually did a pretty good job with the designing and you could tell he was concentrating on getting the eyes and buttons just right! He sure enjoyed eating them too. :)

I didn't quite trust Gavin with the frosting so I decided to do it for him. He did squeeze it like I said before but I did the actual frosting! He promptly licked all the frosting off and left the cookies on the table! Do you like my bow in my hair? :)

He's sure proud of his cookie though! He just loved the frosting even more. Mmm pure sugar!

Jakob had a fun time making his cookie look crazy. He and Andy were both laughing pretty hard at how they were decorating!

Ashley loved her cookie and wanted to keep decorating - so she could eat them!

And here's Steve's. He was holding Ethan and helping make sure that no frosting ended up on tables or floors. Jakob decorated two for Steve and two for himself. It was a great night! My next attempt will be to make a gingerbread house! Wish me luck!
I just went back and reread my post. Man, do I like exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Montana at the Helm said...

Great homevening activity! Delicious! I want to do a gingerbread house to, but I have tried before and wasn't pleased. Maybe I will just cheat and buy the ones at the store that have all the pieces and you just decorate.

jaclyn weist said...

Hey that works. :) All I've ever done is the graham cracker kind :)

Jenks Jive said...

So fun! We're making some gingerbread men tonight. I made the dough last night while the baby was sleeping. (The only time I can get anything done.)