Our new home

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Teaching Moments...

Last night we were driving from my sister-in-law's house back to our hotel and remembered we didn't have milk for Santa. We decided to stop by Harmon's and grab some milk from there. I forgot that on Christmas Eve everyone closes early!! So we sat in the parking lot trying to figure out who might be open for milk. I suggested the little shop ("In a Pinch") in our hotel but it was REALLY expensive. Jakob piped up from the backseat that we could just go to Grandma's and get some from there. Steve and I hadn't even thought of that!!

We started driving towards their house and I was praising Jakob about thinking of such a good idea and he told me got it from me. I tried to remember the conversation to think of what I might have said that made him think of his grandparents.

Finally he reminded me of what happened a month ago. We'd been at Red Balloon letting the kids pick out gifts for each other and were hungry. We'd been trying to figure out what to have for dinner and Steve suggested Cafe Rio. I was all for it! But we both knew we should just go home. On our way out of the shopping center parking lot, I told Steve I was REALLY wanting some Cafe Rio so we turned around and went back into the parking lot. I sat there debating whether to take the kids in or leave them out in the car with Steve while I lugged 6 meals out to the car. Finally my good reason won and I told Steve we should just go home and eat there. Now, for me that's a big thing because I love to eat out. But I knew I needed to be a good example and back away from something that we really didn't "need". We went home, had dinner (chili), went to bed and that was the end.... I just didn't realize at the time that I'd taught my son the importance of saving money!! It made my night and I just hope I can continue teaching him the important things he needs to know in life.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and everyone is safe!!! We had a fantastic Christmas and its been fun spending time with Steve's family. :)

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Merry Christmas!

Should I admit that we just plain forgot to put out milk? I bet Santa found some in the fridge if he needed it. =o) We did remember the goodies though.

See you soon!

jaclyn weist said...

WE forgot. Jakob remembered. :) I'm sure he liked the goodies! He sure enjoyed his chocolate cheesecake at our hotel. :) Which reminds me that I still have some...