Our new home

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Its a Good Thing You're Cute!!!

Look at the face at the top of my blog. Such a sweet, adorable, hilarious little boy. However, with lack of sleep, any little face can seem a little more well, NOT cute. :)


Yesterday I decided I'd be a good mommy and take the bumper pads off the crib like you're supposed to at 3 months or so. Whatever 'expert' decided that 3 months was a good age either has a sense of humor or doesn't have children because after a while they learn to ROLL. And Ethan decided to roll right into the edge of the crib. So as I walked down the hallway at 1:00 in the morning all I saw was 2 legs sticking out of the bars of the crib and a screaming face looking at me accusingly.


So on went the bumper pads as he watched and cried, looking up at the mobile waiting for it to play music. I turned it on and he started laughing and talking - bad sign at 1 in the morning... I picked him up thinking that feeding him with the lights off while I typed on the computer would help him sleep. NOPE


So now he's laughing, talking and trying to grab my fingers. Yeah, not a sleepy boy. I tried tylenol because right now he's a drool bug trying to get those first four teeth in (yeah, all at once!). He liked chewing on the bottle but still didn't help him sleep. So now its going on 2:15 or so. I'd been falling asleep on the computer for the last 2 hours(yeah the math doesn't add up but trust me, its right) so finally I gave in and plopped him in his crib. Bad move.


So while I brushed my teeth and got ready for bed I heard him screaming for mommy. All my other kids were sleeping through the night and crying themselves to sleep at oh, 2 months. Ethan? No way. Too many things to do and see. So finally I dragged myself into his room, picked him up and put him in bed with me. After smacking me in the face about 3 times he FINALLY drifted off only to wake up 3 hours later wanting to eat. And then 1/2 hour later. And then another 1/2 hour later - which was punctuated with Jakob trying to get his siblings to SHHHHH so mommy could sleep. Steve got home from work and also tried to let me sleep... WASN'T HAPPENING.


What was little Ethan's response to all this? To stare at me with big blue eyes and touch my face. And of course my heart melted and all was right with the world. Anyone want to know why babies are so cute? To let their mommies make it through one more sleep deprived day!!!


Now I may sound like I'm complaining(because, well, I am) but I just have to say I've done it with five different children now and I wouldn't go back. Why? Because of the sweet smile, the touch of their hand on your face and the look of adoration that they give only you as their mommy even when they're at their most miserable! Now if I can just remember that tonight as we start it all over again(Oh, I hope not!).

4 comments:

Montana at the Helm said...

I agree whole heartedly with every point you made! We may be at the point of losing our minds because of the lack of sleep, but then they win us over with their sweet preciousness! Hang in there!

jaclyn weist said...

Thanks! Its bad when you dream that their teeth popped through - and wake only to find it was just a dream!!

Kristen said...

Way to go Ethan, make her pay!

Just kidding. He IS adorable. Hang in there. In a couple months I'll be there too. You're doing a great job!

Adhis said...

Instead of crib bumper pads, I use this: www.cozywedge.com

It's a bit pricey on the website; I bought mine through someone offering it on a cheapcycle yahoo group for $20, and fortunately, it was a color that coordinated with my baby's room!

I'm sold on it, my baby doesn't tangle in it, her face doesn't press up against it, and I can still see her from outside of her room. I absolutely recommend it!