Our new home

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Oh What a Day

Today started out like any other day. Wake up, pull the wire off your finger. Oh wait, that's not normal. They had me do an oxygen test for sleeping because I'm always tired. I'm a mom. What more do I need to say?!

Anyway, so we went from breakfast to letting kids play at friends houses, to getting my fruit from a neighbor, to the playground and back home before going to get the kids again. Then we went out and did stuff (yes STUFF) in the yard. Oh and I played lightning with Jakob and Steve. Too bad I can't hit foul shots in a game like I was hitting today!!!

So Steve, Jakob and the rest of the kids (except Ethan who just wanted Mommy) wanted to wash the car. They got everything ready and headed outside and started washing. I was going to get ready to go to enrichment even though I wasn't feeling that wonderful and noticing a loud humming from the nursery.

I knew there was a computer in there and figured one of the kids had turned it on so I was looking all over for the switch. I think my brain was only working at about 1% because it took a while to remember that there IS no switch to the computer since Steve had taken the power supply out. SO suddenly it clicked that they had the faucet on that was just outside that room and I had the impression I better run downstairs. And boy am I glad I did!!!

There was water in the boys room so I ran outside and told Steve we had flooding and ran to the front. My neighbor noticed me running for the faucet and asked how things were. She rushed over to see what she could do to help and her husband came over to see why there was flooding. I wish I'd gotten a picture of the water dripping from the siding!!!

Steve got to work with the shop vac and gave that up and went in with the steam cleaner(thanks Mom and Dad! We love that vacuum!) to get the water out. While he did that I chased kids around the yard getting them away from the things that had been left out in our rush to fix the basement. Finally I got them in and got to soak up the mess in one room while Steve did the other.

We had two guys from the ward show up with fans and they managed to find out where the leak was from and cut a hole in the wall to get the pipe out. Steve rushed to Home Depot( and had to wait for a train) to find the right part. He got us pizza for dinner and then within minutes of him getting back we had our new pipe all ready to go!! What amazing neighbors we have!!!!!!!!!!!!

So here are a couple good to know hints. 1. don't have neighbor kids that like to come by and turn your faucets on at random times. 2 don't leave the hose on your faucets during the winter or they'll FREEZE. I must note that we only did that because of hint #1!!! We figured if they turned it on, it wouldn't go into the basement... so instead the water from the broken pipe will! 3. If you have the problem from #1 and #2, don't keep the handles on your faucets... 4. Always have a shop vac and/or steam cleaner handy. Oh and fans. You never know when you or a neighbor might need them!

Anyway here are a few pictures. They're not the best but you can at least get the gist. I'm just so thankful to my friends and neighbors that jumped at the chance to help us! We feel loved and blessed!!!

3 comments:

Jill said...

I'm so sorry that happened! But I am so glad that there was help right away. Our basement flooded while we were in California one year. Never a fun thing to deal with.

bizzymomma said...

you guys have bad luck with flooding in your basement. Isn't this the second time?

jaclyn weist said...

Actually its the 7th... and the 3rd since its been finished!